X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fudge
    replied
    yes sir the lower strut mount bolt is giving me a good fight!!! I've been at it a good portion of the day... ugh. I dont want to save the bolt I want it to be destroyed after I get it off my car!!!!!! Right now its so stripped I can't even lock my vice grips onto it!!!! I tried wrench, then impact until it stripped, then nut splitter, now ive been trying the sockets that are for rounded bolts but those just seem to make it even rounder!!!! my dad suggests drilling a hole through the middle of the bolt. I'm glad my major is computer science lol

Leave a comment:

• ryanprins13
    replied
    Originally posted by fudge View Post
    the nut splitter didnt work lol it just got dull, im definitely going to return that. next try will be to weep and ask politely for it to come off by itself stbu
    Which nut are you trying to get off? I thought you said earlier (in the post i quoted below) that you had the top ones off?
    Originally posted by fudge View Post
    Thanks for the quick response guys! I was trying to vise the strut but I guess I was too wimpy because I just got it off! woop
    Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
    Why cant you use a punch. Or a C-Clamp and press it out.
    Were both talking about the lower strut mount bolt right? The metal bushing on the strut siezes to the bolt. Rubber connects it to the strut so it doesnt turn but absorbs everything from your impact gun. If you burn it off then the bushing is loose from the strut but still stuck to the bolt. The OD of the bushing is much larger than the OD of the hole the bolt needs to come out through. So when you go to loosen the bolt off the captive nut the bushing just presses against the strut bracket.
    Only possible way to still save the bolt is if you cut the strut off then put vicegrips on the bushing and somehow got it loose from the bolt like that.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• fudge
    replied
    the nut splitter didnt work lol it just got dull, im definitely going to return that. next try will be to weep and ask politely for it to come off by itself stbu

Leave a comment:

• nitrofarm
    replied
    Why cant you use a punch. Or a C-Clamp and press it out.

Leave a comment:

• ryanprins13
    replied
    I dont mind if the rubber starts on fire. I'm replacing the rubber anyway. Just hit it with a squirt bottle and water.
    Well yes, but once it burns theres no way to break loose the metal bushing so you have to cut the bolt off. With it intact you have a chance of breaking loose the bushing and getting the bolt out without cutting

Leave a comment:

• bravekozak
    replied
    I still have not removed the rear right hand bolt.
    I have cut off the shock and the rubber.
    The next time I try, I will first file the flats on the bolt head to the next size smaller.
    Then, I will heat the body of the bolt until it is as red as a cherry.
    Then impact.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 03-07-2017, 04:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nitrofarm
    replied
    I dont mind if the rubber starts on fire. I'm replacing the rubber anyway. Just hit it with a squirt bottle and water.

Leave a comment:

• ryanprins13
    replied
    In the rust belt,Torch everything first. Go sip some beer,then PB Blast it. Re-apply as needed-
    Yes, EXCEPT the lower strut mount bolt. I have light the bushing on fire twice, then theres no way to get the bolt out except to cut it off. It was like 5 years apart but i still cant believe i made the same mistake twice.
    Doesnt matter if you plan to cut it off anyway.

Leave a comment:

• nitrofarm
    replied
    In the rust belt,Torch everything first. Go sip some beer,then PB Blast it. Re-apply as needed-

Leave a comment:

• william
    replied
    I believe he's saying use the nut splitter for the top nut. For the bottom bolt cut on both sides.l with a sawzall or the like.
    The bolt gets seized in the strut when you try to loosen it it can push off the tacked on nut inside the beam.
    I just cut them on both sides then turn out what's left in the nut with vice grips.
    There's a thread on there it the bolt size I believe it's available at advanced auto
    Last edited by william; 03-07-2017, 12:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fudge
    replied
    Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
    Gawd I hate rust.....
    If you use an impact, be aware that in left hand rotation it can loosen the internal parts on some struts!
    This is one of the few places I have found a "Nut Splitter" to be off use.
    im gonna go buy one right now!

Leave a comment:

• Dragonhealer
    replied
    Gawd I hate rust.....
    If you use an impact, be aware that in left hand rotation it can loosen the internal parts on some struts!
    This is one of the few places I have found a "Nut Splitter" to be off use.

Leave a comment:

• fudge
    replied
    I stripped the lower strut mount bolt even with an impact driver! I was using a 9/16 socket because its the only one for the impact that fit. now my best bet is to weld a new nut to it? blehhhh

Leave a comment:

• scitzz
    replied
    Never noticed a thing.

Leave a comment:

• skeeters_keeper
    replied
    Apparently not noisy enough to notice for a few years.... right Scitzzz??

Leave a comment:

Working...
X