No announcement yet.

Ian's B6T Festiva build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re did one of the brackets to make it a little beefier. I use the stock battery tray mounting points so I didn't have to drill new holes. Might still need some tweaking of the angle but otherwise I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

I did it this way rather than moving the battery to be back for two main reasons. I wanted to keep weight up front and then I wanted the battery wiring in the same basic spot as stock.

Next up... VAF bracket!
    Last edited by fastivaca; 03-06-2016, 11:39 AM.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

• Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
      Apparently my torque wrench doesn't work below 30 in-lbs...

That is, or was, the oil feed bolt for the turbo. New one coming from the local Mazda dealer tomorrow.
      This looks better [emoji106]

Mazda part number B660-14-615
      Last edited by fastivaca; 03-06-2016, 07:35 PM.
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

• Good to know that the banjo bolt can still be sourced through Mazda.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
          Good to know that the banjo bolt can still be sourced through Mazda.
          I ordered it from one of the dealers here is Calgary and they had to bring it in from California! Ordered it on a Friday afternoon and it was here on the following Tuesday. All things considered I didn't mind paying the $23.00CAD for it.

Ian
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Decided I should make a list of what's left to do....

Question marks are for items that can be done after I get the cat on the road.
            Ian
            Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Ian's B6T Festiva build

Looks like it will be soon! Depending on how much 'engine wiring' is left.
              Are you considering an air horn? My horn died so i installed a cheapish air horn but i didn't find it loud enough by itself, so i took a horn off another car and together they were fine. But that horn died and i still dont find the air horn loud enough so i bought another horn to go along with it. From princess auto, says its the loudest horn in the world or something for $16, lol. Still need to install it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by ryanprins13; 03-09-2016, 08:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                Looks like it will be soon! Depending on how much 'engine wiring' is left.
                Are you considering an air horn? My horn died so i installed a cheapish air horn but i didn't find it loud enough by itself, so i took a horn off another car and together they were fine. But that horn died and i still dont find the air horn loud enough so i bought another horn to go along with it. From princess auto, says its the loudest horn in the world or something for $16, lol. Still need to install it yet.

If you want a loud horn, go to your local pullit and get a pair off a Cadillac. They're louder than the ones on my motorhome.
                Jack Byrd,
                1991 Capri
                1988 Festiva LX, 240K
                1970 Chev C10
                1977 Airstream Argosy MH

Comment

• Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                  Oh yeah, I forgot how tight things get around there with the b6t. That's another good reason to do the lower rad support mod and move the radiator forward. There is very little space for turbo inlet piping and a radiator and all the other stuff that likes to live over there (air box, upper hose, diverter valve, fan shroud, mini fridge, microwave ect ect.)
                  Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of moving the rad forward as I will be running with A/C and the condenser goes in front of the rad.

Ian
                  Ian
                  Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Final battery install. Used the Honda Civic battery hold down hardware. Cut more than an inch off the rods.

The Festiva side of the harness is now in its place; just have to install the alternator.

Fuel lines are also in their proper places.

Decided on location for the water/meth injection pump etc. The pump will be mounted in the stock windshield washer reservoir so it's low and in behind the stock splash shield. I've got an early washer reservoir that will serve double duty for the water/meth system and windshield washing. It should end up a pretty stealthy install as most of the hoses will run in either the ipper or lower rad support.

It's just hanging in the approximate position in the photo. Final mounting will be properly vertical.
                    Ian
                    Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Love it, always nice when you can keep the engine bay as clean as possible

Comment

• There's not a lot of room in Festiva for the radiator, fan, intake piping etc. One solution that's used is to move the radiator forward a couple inches. As I mentioned in an earlier post I don't have the luxury of doing that as I'm retaining the A/C system and its condenser mounts immediately in front of the rad.

I've attempted to use the stock fan shroud and fan but there just isn't room for it as you can see in these photos.

Condenser to radiator clearance.

View from the other side.

Minimal clearnce between the compressor housing on the turbo and the radiator.

A/C condenser in place.

I am still working on a bracket system for the VAF meter which will sit an inch or so above the battery. Something like this...

I will probably rejig the bracket for the A/C relays to give a bit more wiggle room for the air filter.

I have a 10" diameter aftermarket slim fan on its way. I was hoping to have it this weekend but that didn't happen.

Things are getting ever closer!!!
                        Last edited by fastivaca; 03-20-2016, 09:23 PM.
                        Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• That is tight... A rear mount turbo actually starts to sound reasonable after seeing this :/
                          Or doing an intercooler like Subaru on top of the engine and chop a hole in the hood.

Comment

• Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                            That is tight... A rear mount turbo actually starts to sound reasonable after seeing this :/
                            Or doing an intercooler like Subaru on top of the engine and chop a hole in the hood.

I'm going without an intercooler. Going to be relying on the water/meth injection for the charge cooling. If it works for Tweak in Arizona it will work up here in Calgary where it's just a little bit cooler.
                            Ian
                            Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                              I'm going without an intercooler. Going to be relying on the water/meth injection for the charge cooling. If it works for Tweak in Arizona it will work up here in Calgary where it's just a little bit cooler.
                              Oh, i really should have noticed that. Its that tight with no intercooler? Huh, maybe you need a condenser off a smart car or something so everything can be moved foreword. Are half size condensers a thing? I realize your not going to change what you have, just wondering if a condenser off another car would allow it and the rad to be moved forward?

Comment

• You can get rid of the old main relay that's bolted to your coolent tank and move the capri one there if that will free up any room for the air filter.
                                I'm going to attempt to do the lower radiator support mod and keep ac I think I'll have the condenser on the engine side though.
                                Not sure if it will all work but I'm hoping If not then I'll live without ac.

Comment

Working...
                                X