Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have you done to your Festiva today!?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200KGPGTP
    replied
    Started the Festiva and let it run a bit. pulled it back into the garage.
    One thing I could do before I get an engine is fix the rear brakes. They're sticking something fierce. I can't even push it on the smooth, flat garage floor.
    Last edited by 200KGPGTP; 03-06-2013, 07:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TorqueEffect
    replied
    Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
    Is there enough clearance in there to drill it and use a bolt/screw extractor perhaps? You could try doing it that way... but it'd be a bit of a pain to say the least.
    Possibly, but like you said, It would be a pain.

Rear beams are cheap, and a set junkyard springs and shocks shouldn't be too much.

Now this is probably a stupid question, but will the rear springs and shocks from an Aspire bolt up to a Festy rear beam? Or is that one of the big reasons people do the Aspire swap in the first place?

Leave a comment:

• Aaronbrook37
    replied
    Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
    While trying to raise my rear suspension today. (Which failed since these springs have so few coils and such little tension, it made zero difference when wedging coil boosters between the springs.)
    I found that the lower rear strut bolt head was sheered off on the driver's side, I think someone in the past was going to change the rear struts, and that happened.

So the ONLY way I can change my struts is to replace the entire rear beam, because there is no way that bolt is coming out.

The deeper and deeper I delve into this car, the more $#!% I find.
    Is there enough clearance in there to drill it and use a bolt/screw extractor perhaps? You could try doing it that way... but it'd be a bit of a pain to say the least.

Leave a comment:

• TorqueEffect
    replied
    Originally posted by Prafeston View Post
    Isn't it just your luck that the cheap yard doesn't have any and the expensive yard has 3
    Well at least with the yard that had 3, I get the tires with the wheels.

Leave a comment:

• Prafeston
    replied
    Isn't it just your luck that the cheap yard doesn't have any and the expensive yard has 3

Leave a comment:

• TorqueEffect
    replied
    Priced all the parts I would need from various "Pull your own part" style junkyards for a Rear Aspire Swap.

This is what I figured from three different yards, the first on the list not having any Aspires at all, second having one, and the last having 3.

Torsion Rear Beam = $13.24
    Brake shoes = $4
    Brake Drums with Hubs = $32
    Spindles = $40
    2 Steel Wheels (Probably without tires) = $14
    Brake Cylinders = $8
    Rear Struts with Springs $42.48

Total From U Pull and Pay = $153.72

Torsion Rear Beam = $16.99
    2 Steel wheels without tires = $11
    Brake Shoes = $4
    Rear Springs, Shocks = $46
    Rear Spindles = $44
    Brake Drums with Hubs = $36
    Brake Cylinders = $12

Total from Pick N' Pull = $170

Torsion Rear Beam = $12.97
    Shocks = $14.82
    Springs = $28.26
    Spindles = $48.06
    Brake Drums W/hub = $21.44
    Brake Shoes = $4
    Brake Cylinders = $9
    2 Steel Wheels with Tires = $34

Total From Pull a Part = $172.55

Unless I am missing something, or there are things I can swap from the stock setup to the new setup.
    Last edited by TorqueEffect; 03-06-2013, 02:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RhodeStiva
    replied
    What have you done to your Festiva today!?

If anyone needs any of those light with switch I have about 6 for sale.

Leave a comment:

• Prafeston
    replied
    Installed my new hatch latch with the plug for the rear light! Was happy to find out both the latch and the light are working properly!

Leave a comment:

• Spike
    replied
    Challenged a guy at work to a snow donut competition. His new Dodge Ram did all right, but Lil Red's reverse donuts stole the show!

~Joe

Leave a comment:

• Huli
    replied
    Re: What have you done to your Festiva today!?

I hope to be testing some aftermarket rear springs this weekend.

I also have a rear beam for sale

Leave a comment:

• TorqueEffect
    replied
    While trying to raise my rear suspension today. (Which failed since these springs have so few coils and such little tension, it made zero difference when wedging coil boosters between the springs.)
    I found that the lower rear strut bolt head was sheered off on the driver's side, I think someone in the past was going to change the rear struts, and that happened.

So the ONLY way I can change my struts is to replace the entire rear beam, because there is no way that bolt is coming out.

The deeper and deeper I delve into this car, the more $#!% I find.
    Last edited by TorqueEffect; 03-06-2013, 01:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Festevil3
    replied
    Originally posted by Prafeston View Post
    Papa Smurf is looking good!!! And the white wheels really set off the white hood!
    Thanks, next is white grill and eyelids. Then drive the wheels off of it. I was kind of unsure about the auto at first but I love it now! Gas milage is not too bad either

Leave a comment:

• Oren09
    replied
    Inspected my front brakes. I've been getting an intermittent faint high pitched squeal/squeak like the of brake pad wear indicators.
    Pads are still good with lots of material left.

Then I dumped a lot of oil on the ground. I was going to move my oil catch can from the PCV line to the valve cover breather. When I opened the catch can, quite a lot of oil came out. I haven't opened it since right after I got it because there was no oil showing on the sight glass. It is obviously working some, so I'm leaving it on the PCV line.

Leave a comment:

• Prafeston
    replied
    Papa Smurf is looking good!!! And the white wheels really set off the white hood!

Leave a comment:

• Festevil3
    replied
    I painted my spare set of factory alloys white and installed them on my DD, Papa Smurf

Leave a comment:

Working...
X