Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have you done to your Festiva today!?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spike View Post
    Snapped the alternator belt. Thank God for a manual pump + manual trans.

Odd thing. Car wanted to overheat, and I don't exactly understand that. A nonworking alternator shouldn't have any effect on cooling of a Festiva going 60MPH in 30 degree weather, correct?

It instantly got hot. I had to pulse the whole way home. Rev high in 3rd, get to 70ish MPH, turn it off. Flashers on and cars passing.

Radiator is completely topped, radiator itself and the overflow. Fan was working, but temp still got VERY HIGH.

Any ideas?

-Joe
    Alternator belt turns the water pump too. (Top-most pulley). A shoestring could probably have turned it.
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

• Bingo, thanks. That settles my worries.
      White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
      White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
      1988 LX 5-speed
      ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

• Installed heat resistant foam strips into the roof under the roof liner to keep heat out during summer and heat in during winter..

I possibly mentioned this earlier or in another thread.. But man it helps

sent from the depths of hell.
        Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
        Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
        Highway - 7.32L/100km
        City - yet to be determined.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spike View Post
          Snapped the alternator belt. Thank God for a manual pump + manual trans.

Odd thing. Car wanted to overheat, and I don't exactly understand that. A nonworking alternator shouldn't have any effect on cooling of a Festiva going 60MPH in 30 degree weather, correct?

It instantly got hot. I had to pulse the whole way home. Rev high in 3rd, get to 70ish MPH, turn it off. Flashers on and cars passing.

Radiator is completely topped, radiator itself and the overflow. Fan was working, but temp still got VERY HIGH.

Any ideas?

-Joe
          Umm the Waterpump is driven off that same belt.

EDIT: Nevermind then, never refreshed the page so I didn't see the new replies. lol
          Last edited by TorqueEffect; 12-31-2013, 10:31 PM.
          1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
          2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
          1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

• Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
            Alternator belt turns the water pump too. (Top-most pulley). A shoestring could probably have turned it.
            That is why panyhose was invented. Jusk politely ask any woman to remove theirs (be sure to tell them it is for an emergency). Stretch it around. Tie it off. Trim with a knife. Hi ho silver away!
            Last edited by bravekozak; 12-31-2013, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• Today I opened up my ranger headlights that I bought from ebay months and months ago apparently I wasn't watching what I was doing and I bought a set that doesn't have included a blinker inside aftermarket design...which is kind of a bummer on a positive note they are super light i.e. once I get the glass ones off take the buckets out and take a few more odds and ends off it will be I'm guessing about 10 pounds of savings. I am not worried about hooking up lol. I can't spin the tires.10 pounds of the car with small engine is still 10 pounds. Once it is functioning I will sell my headlights and at least two buckets and I think I have one white bucket lying around somewhere all of them no rust...and this time I will actually make a donation with part of the money you guys have helped this car and other cars along for a long time and I have not given back
              Last edited by getnpsi; 01-01-2014, 03:16 AM.
              1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

• It wasn't today, but a few weeks ago I put new tires on my black festy and gave it away to my brother.

Comment

• Originally posted by gottafesty View Post
                  It wasn't today, but a few weeks ago I put new tires on my black festy and gave it away to my brother.
                  That is really nice of you.. Is he part of the forums?

Avg Economy:
                  Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

• Originally posted by muleskinner View Post
                    My G/F ran the Festivas today and the battery in the red one, we are going to use as a parts car, blew up! What the funk?

I'm not there to look at what damage it did, but she did wash out the engine compartment of any battery acid.

I wonder what could have caused that to happen?!
                    A short in the battery plates will cause it to boil and a spark will ignite the fumes.
                    Jack Byrd,
                    1991 Capri
                    1988 Festiva LX, 240K
                    1970 Chev C10
                    1977 Airstream Argosy MH

Comment

• Originally posted by jawbraeka View Post
                      That is really nice of you.. Is he part of the forums?

No, and he probably won't join. Not sure why. Just not his thing I suppose. He was pretty excited to get well over 40 mpg though.
                      Last edited by gottafesty; 01-01-2014, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• finally got the title for my 92!!
                        89 LX (461xxx miles original motor and trans, retired)
                        90 L (restoration in progress)
                        91 L (saved from abusive owner lol)
                        92 L (DD)
                        88 (model unknown, rust free, possible project)
                        88-89 (parts car. practically picked to the bone)
                        93 GL (parts car)

Comment

• Changed the filter and added a quart. Then looked up at the 32 gallon jugs of rotella 15/40 on the shelf. I'm such a cheap jewish ########.....

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

• Phew, had a long day at work. Tho, doing my 121.

I changed leaking gas tank to totally new one, also e-brake cable.
                            After those I made a service (oil and filter + airfilter) and changed timing belt and crank seal.
                            Hi! Do you wanna ride with me? I have red cabrio, it has the biggest engine what was available when the car was new. It also has about every possible accessories what was available then.
                            It's -89 Mazda 121 with 1,3L carb engine banana time

Comment

• Originally posted by gottafesty View Post
                              No, and he probably won't join. Not sure why. Just not his thing I suppose. He was pretty excited to get well over 40 mpg though.
                              Fair enough.. Is he mechanically aspirated at all?

Avg Economy:
                              Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

• Preparing a bit for the insanely cold Monday and Tuesday we are going to have. Predicting temps as low as -14F.

Put in some gas anti-freeze/water treatment.

Also topped up the washer bottles with Rain-X all-season, good to negative 20F. Much better than that cheap blue stuff, and only a dollar or two more.
                                1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                                2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                                1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Working...
                                X