Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have you done to your Festiva today!?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got back yesterday morning from a 600+ mile journey to Chicago and then back.

On the way there, in the city, and about 50 mile back out of the city, with the a/c on I scored 39.5 MPG on 93 Octane on my goofy timing that I can't seem to get right. But for the return trip I put in 87 octane in just for comparison, haven't filled it up to check the mpg difference. I think it did worse just by looking at the gauge, even though I didn't use a/c on the return trip since it was at night.

Also this isn't the first time I have noticed this, but it seems like if the engine has run for extended period of time, like a long drive, after I shut it down then start it the next day it will start up with a bad lifter tick. But small short trips everyday don't cause any lifter ticks but on rare occasions. Just a weird thing I noticed after this trip, and after Ohiostiva. Today's tick lasted a long time though, lasted a good few minutes.
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

• I was at the exhaust shop today and was totally impressed. I went to get a hole welded closed and a bung put on for the wide band. He said he would do it for 30 bucks or he would fab a whole new downpipe for 40.

I don't know if you all remember the sawzall action from my downpipe but a new one was probably the best way to go. Anyways. He cut it off at about the back of the drivers seat. It fell to the ground he looked at it, looked at the bottom of the car and ran off to the shop. He came back out with a pipe almost perfectly bent to match. It was an inch or so too long. He went back fixed that and welded it up for me.

I don't think 40 bucks was terrible at all for that much exhaust pipe and the fact he didn't look toward the middle of the car
      91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
      06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
      95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

• Originally posted by sketchman View Post
        "Dropped" the new-to-me B6-ME in today.

Didn't expect so much aggravation from it. Really blew my mind. Hoping the B3 ECU and fuel injectors and VAF will keep it happy-ish till I can get a more permanent solution installed.

I will NEVER, EVER, EVER attempt to install the engine with the trans in the car again. I know people say it's no big deal, but I just can't do it, and I wasted 1/2 a day trying. So...
        What gave you problems? I have done it both ways, and it kind of seemed the same to me.

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
        Bled all the brake lines.
        Some nasty looking hydraulic fluid in there.
        Replaced the front struts and cleaned and greased the strut bearing.
        Rides like new.
        Of course while under it I see signs of of rear main seal leaking.
        time for a clutch while I'm in there.
        Is that a Madness project I hear coming down the pipe?
        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

• ^Could have been that it had the double pulley(and not the v-belt sheave, but the flat style) making it wider. IDK. I just couldn't do it, and I had a buddy helping and a crane too.
          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

• Trip back from Chicago with a/c off on 87 octane was 37mpg.

Comment

• Originally posted by sketchman View Post
              ^Could have been that it had the double pulley(and not the v-belt sheave, but the flat style) making it wider. IDK. I just couldn't do it, and I had a buddy helping and a crane too.
              Ah. Either way, I always have to put those on after the engine is in, let that side come down low enough to install, then pull it back up.
              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

• Funny, I have installed 2 engine's in Festy's and I never had any problem putting the engine in with the pulleys attached.
                Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

• Had anyone used those $35 sets of lifters from eBay?

Comment

• yesterday, so not today, but.....

took off rear drums to have turned (seemed the brakes were dragging on one side, with all new parts, so i figure with new shoes, and new drums, there wasnt enough real estate in there.

rather than arcing the shoes on the shoe machine, i had the mobile brake machine guy come out, one drum was perfect, the other drum had the hole for the bearing races machined crooked, and the drum wobbled real bad. (centrics from rock auto)

ordered another set of drums (from local supplier), they send one correct drum, and another mislabled drum. send em back, order another set, they come in both "correct" but they do not visually match (machining, casting min thickness label etc).... sent em back, ordered a different brand, told them to make sure they match before they leave the warehouse.... picked them up this morning, they match. bueno!!!

now i can have them checked on monday after i put races in em, hopefully get this car finished up this week, its taken far too long and had too many plot complications.

Comment

• Originally posted by scitzz View Post
                      Ah. Either way, I always have to put those on after the engine is in, let that side come down low enough to install, then pull it back up.
                      Hmm. Nice tip. Seems obvious now, but at the time I didn't think it would make any difference.

Originally posted by drddan View Post
                      Funny, I have installed 2 engine's in Festy's and I never had any problem putting the engine in with the pulleys attached.
                      Well now I'm confused again. lol

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

• Originally posted by villageidiot View Post
                        yesterday, so not today, but.....

took off rear drums to have turned (seemed the brakes were dragging on one side, with all new parts, so i figure with new shoes, and new drums, there wasnt enough real estate in there.

rather than arcing the shoes on the shoe machine, i had the mobile brake machine guy come out, one drum was perfect, the other drum had the hole for the bearing races machined crooked, and the drum wobbled real bad. (centrics from rock auto)

ordered another set of drums (from local supplier), they send one correct drum, and another mislabled drum. send em back, order another set, they come in both "correct" but they do not visually match (machining, casting min thickness label etc).... sent em back, ordered a different brand, told them to make sure they match before they leave the warehouse.... picked them up this morning, they match. bueno!!!

now i can have them checked on monday after i put races in em, hopefully get this car finished up this week, its taken far too long and had too many plot complications.
                        This sounds all too familiar to me. Sucks!!!
                        -Bryant

Comment

• Balanced the air flow on my twin carbs with the Crypton balancer that I got from England on Friday.
                          I thought it was running smooth and on the money, but I was wrong. This air flow meter is sensitive enough to detect less than a quarter turn of the throttle position screw. Unbelievable power now. Smiling in every gear. Fast. I will repost the mp3 of the engine sound prior to Drive Clean emission testing tomorrow. Later in August, I will reinstall the headers, toss the cat and slap on the big pipe with the Bosal "muffler". Then I will post another mp3. I will let members know if this will affect balance or air flow.
                          Last edited by bravekozak; 08-10-2014, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• 026.jpg027.jpg029.jpg030.jpgI started replacing the carpet. Got back done and will do front shortly.
                            Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
                            93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
                            01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

• Ooooh, that looks good.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

• Nice idea man. I like it boxed in like that.
                                -Bryant

Comment

Working...
                                X