No announcement yet.

My KLZE Festiva Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• go to a diesel repair or performance shop, ask for a hx40, put it in your festiva, thank me later...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
    1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

• I guess I haven't been keeping things up to date on here so here we go

Basically it would smoke like crazy after a good pull under boost, figured it was excessive crank case pressure

Charge piping was dry on the inside telling me the turbo is not pissing oil into the intake

So I built the catch can, installed it and yesterday morning, like the above post states, it smoked like a forest fire going down the road

I get to work and on my lunch break I pulled the charge pipe off and it's soaked with oil, tells me the turbo was sucking oil in from the catch can

So I capped off the vacuum lines leaving the catch can but left the PCV connected to the can so it could vent to the atmosphere and have somewhere for the oil to go, so I thought

Went for a drive and the oil just started spraying out of the catch can until there was no oil in the motor, it looks like someone took a jug of oil and dumped it all over the engine bay

So now I'm thinking I got bad rings or something to cause that kind of crankcase pressure

I get some more oil into it and fire it up, now it sputters like crazy, I get it home, pull the plugs and clean them up, do a compression test and all looks good, which surprised me from the amount of crankcase pressure there is but i re-install the plugs and it still has a really bad miss to it

So I'm thinking I screwed up a lifter or something, combine that with the crank case pressure, I think I might be changing the motor this weekend

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

• Man that sucks. Im not sure why it would do that...

Comment

• Sometimes a compression check will read good because of all the excess oil in the upper end. It tends to mask ring sealing issues. You also may have a head gasket that is allowing pressure into the oil passage under power when your cylinder pressures are high. Try to perform a leakdown test if you can. Sorry to hear about all this trouble by the way, but when you get it sorted out it will all be worth it.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• well my plan is to start pulling it apart tonight or tomorrow (depending on my motivation level) and change the motor

I'll tear down the current engine to find out the real problem and maybe do a NA build with it for a future project

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

• With all the work you've done so far it shouldn't take you more than an hr to change the engine. I hope you will still be able to come to the meet. *crosses fingers*

Comment

• I'm counting on about 5-6 hours to change the motor, I'll have a bunch of things to change over to the next engine which will take time

I know the next engine ran a LOT smoother then the current one, so if all goes well then I'm hoping this setup will be fully ready to beat on, if so, I "should" make it to the meet

Comment

• That's good to hear. I am assuming that you finally got the other donor car then?

Comment

• No the KL I'm putting in came from the P5 I swapped the KJ into, so this one has been sitting on my engine stand for the past year lol

Comment

• Don't worry you aren't the only one with an engine swap to do before madness. Cutting it close this yr.
                      1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

• I'm not even sure if I'll make it this year or not, it's not looking good right now

Comment

• I had the exact same thing happen to me when I switched to a Super T70, ended up being the turbo. Don't loose all hope just yet. Get an hx35 and keep on truckin'
                          '93 BP-T 57trim TO4E - Coilovers - 13x7 steelies - 175/60 - 48k mi

Comment

• Either way this motor is screwed from running dry of oil, it still runs and has great compression but a lifter or something in the top end went

I've confident the turbo is fine after all the diagnosing I have been doing, I believe I had a bad valve guide causing my excessive crank case pressure so once the motor is out, I'll pull it apart to find out

Comment

• Sorry to hear that Chris.. major bummer
                              Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
                              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

• Thanks, hopefully once the new motor is in, it'll be better and more powerful then before :evil4:

Comment

Working...
                                X